Children in the family bed have a lighter sleep, they hear their parents breathing, which is why co-sleeping is a kind of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) prophylaxis if certain safety requirements are observed. In this article we have put together some hints and tips for a safe sleeping environment in the family bed.
- Suitable mattresses should be used for babies and small children so that the child does not sink into the mattress.
- The fall-out protection, which can be mounted on the bed provisions, ensures a safe sleeping environment. Depending on the sleeping and room situation, up to three fall-out guards can be attached to each single bed. You can find further information on this in the online shop
- Babies and toddlers should not sleep under their parents\' covers. It is recommended to use your own sleeping bag for the baby. It is also not advisable for siblings to sleep next to the infant.
- The baby's safest sleeping position is on the outer side of the bed, next to and at mother's chest level. It forms a maternal protective chamber that conveys security to the infant.
- Animals should sleep outside the family bed.
- Children should not be slept in the same bed if one or both parents have used smoke, alcohol or drugs, if one or both parents have a fever or are suffering from depression.
- Other recommendations to avoid SIDS should be considered.